I Want a New Drug

April 10, 2013 by Marj Hatzell

Bugaboo has really taken off with the iPad. He still has leagues to go but he’s enjoying communication with the assistive technology app. In fact, I’m beginning to think he prefers it. He keeps sticking his PECS book in weird places. Like he’s hiding it.

Funny kid.

Last night he was restless and gave us a difficult time going to bed. He kept reappearing in the kitchen. Often we have to go camp out with him in bed until he falls asleep. He likes to stick his sticky hands and dirty feet on me when he sleeps (yes, he does bathe nearly every night but they still manage to be sticky/dirty at bed time). Good times, good times.

Anywho, he would NOT go to sleep last night. Perhaps he was hungry? He kept running downstairs. And yesterday I was in a FABULOUS mood (read: in a rotten mood) and was growing more and more frustrated. He finally flopped down on the couch at one point and fired up the iPad, inputting, “I want to go, Target, R. X.”

For those of you not good at math, he wanted to go to Target. Duh.

But then I was all, “RX? What the what? What’s he talking about?” Assuming he was just typing in random stuff, as he does, because he likes to just hit random buttons and listen to the voice on the output over and over and over again.

“Nachos nachos nachos nachos nachos nachos…

And that’s when it dawned on me. RX means prescriptions.

We get our scripts at Target.

Sometimes we get our scripts and not much else. If it’s a bottle of water or something, I get it at the Pharmacy counter.

And next to the Pharmacy Counter? A big ole sign that says, “Rx.”

I kid you not.

I’m telling y’all, something’s going on in that head of his. And it’s big. HUGE. REALLY HUGE.

I can’t wait to see what happens next.

17 thoughts on “I Want a New Drug

1. Ah! I was thinking he was needing a prescription for nachos. Sometimes don’t we all? Because nachos solve problems. Wonder what he wants at Target? 😉

2. jimreeve says:

Sometimes kids like ours can be quite funny. But my son will never take medicine, which can be difficult sometimes. And strangely enough, my son hasn’t been sleeping as much either. I think he needs an earlier bedtime.

• We have to hide meds in juice. Ain’t easy.

• kantal113 says:

Applesauce; or pudding if your boy can eat dairy. Ours is on a strict supplement and dietary regimen to combat yeast and brain agitation because he used to be very aggressive. Now he’s only slightly aggressive. LOL
      Anyway, we crush up his supps. and meds and put them in applesauce. Poor kid has to eat applesauce 3 times a day, but he doesn’t complain much.
      Jim- Have you tried melatonin for your son? It helps ours fall asleep, but it doesn’t keep him asleep. He’s up at least once a night, typically; sometimes more.
      Good luck.

• He’s allergic to apples and eats only crunchy textures so no go on the applesauce. He is good about the juice. It’s the only time he drinks it, otherwise he gets water.

Ian takes melatonin but it doesn’t do a thing. We had a sleep study done and it showed he never went past stage two sleep. Good times!

• kantal113 says:

Good times, indeed. I don’t think they ever did a sleep study on my step-son. It would be a good idea. I’m going to suggest it to the hubby.
          I understand that texture thing. At least he’ll drink the juice for you.

3. Janet says:

Three big cheers for Bugaboo!!!

Target Target Target! Go, Bugaboo!

5. Maggie S. says:

Nachos make me feel better. Target is where you get the stuff that makes you feel better. Except not Target Nachos. Ew.

As to wanting a new drug…me, too. It’s been a rough year.

6. kantal113 says:

My 9yo step-son has an iPad with Touch Chat on it. He’s completely nonverbal, with the exception of a few sounds and noises. It does help him in some way, his teachers say, but I don’t see it. He’s not only autistic; he’s cognitively impaired as well and can’t read. He knows a few sight words they say, but I don’t see it. He’s mentally about 3 years old.

Anyhow, he’s the master of pushing random buttons on that thing, and LOVES repetitive stuff as well. He’ll be pushing random stuff for like 10 minutes and then he’ll play it back. We’ll get a long, random sentence like, “I want chips’s i like to play the Wii, I like to play the Wii, I like to play the Wii, chips’s, Mrs.Rafalski, Mrs. Rafalski, Mrs. Rafalski, Mrs. Weeks, Mrs. Rafalski, chips’s, I like to play the Wii, chips’s I want”

Sometimes it’s funny. More often than not, I want to throw the damn thing out the window.

I’m glad your boy is actually making some sense of his. Lots of love to you!

• Ian does have some cognitive issues. I don’t think he will EVER be completely proficient, just like he won’t be with sign or pecs but the more I give him to express himself the better, I feel. They are all bridges to communication. Sme kids get a talker and they start talking. Mayb it will be my guy,

I’m thinking the random ain’t so random. It’s him playing with it or reassuring himself. Or maybe his steam of consciousness . Who knows!

• kantal113 says:

Who knows, indeed. I would love to know what goes on inside the step-sons brain. He’s such an interesting kid.
        Communication is a great thing, when being done properly. And who knows? Maybe my step isn’t really random either. Maybe it all makes perfect sense to him.
        We may never know!

• Bekir says:

Had a fantastic time at the Con and rlaely enjoyed your workshops and storytelling. I’m just starting out as a writer and events like this are a great way to learn and meet people. Listening to local authors such as yourself makes you realize a community is out there and it’s a great way to get motivated!

7. Becky says:

Will you get me some nachos too? What a smart kiddo!