Autism is…Well, I’m Giving You a House Tour

April 4, 2012 by Marj Hatzell

I went back and forth about whether or not I should post this. I mean, I want to keep it real, yo. But this is a long-ass video and I babble incessantly, per usual, because I have ADHD. Also! It’s super long and stuff. And I didn’t want people to be all OMFSM SHE LIVES IN A PIG STY.

But I also want you to know what our lives are like.

Our house is in disrepair. We’re working on it. But I wanted you to see it.

Why? Well, because I wanted folks to see what Bugaboo (and Bug Boy) can do to a house. I want to show you the bruises on his arms (and mine) from the biting and pinching. I’ve recorded screaming fits and meltdowns, too( I don’t know if I’ll post those, though). Why did I record it? Well, because when folks tell me I have no right to be happy and that my kid’s version of autism is better than theirs (because, you know, there’s a HARDSHIP OLYMPICS) they can see that we have our struggles in our version of autism, too.

And we’re still happy.

We’re tired, oh so very tired, and sometimes we’re frustrated. But dammit, we’re happy and we’re gonna have hope.
(Oh, and turn the sound up, because I’m mumbling and I had a headache that day)

Anyways. My house. Enjoy:

17 thoughts on “Autism is…Well, I’m Giving You a House Tour

1. Anonymous says:

Your house isn’t too bad. At least your cupboards are full of food. And I’m sure your house will be nice once it’s been fully renovated.

• Says you. 🙂

We have only lived here for five years. We’ve renovated his room twice. IN other words,it won’t stay this way for more than a few months.

Perhaps I should have done the house tour before we ripped up the floors and primed the walls. There were many, many, many more holes and chandeliers ripped down. 😉

2. Forgotten says:

I love you for this. You are showing people what happens in a house filled with children who do what they do. It’s almost impossible to watch kids every single moment and they will get into things. I’m almost dreading as mine grow bigger because I already have one who likes to climb the counters. I will have to have those fancy locks of yours on everything. Speaking of which, where did you get those and who makes them? 🙂

Take care of you and work on those things one at a time, the most pressing things first. And don’t worry, we don’t judge you because we know. We *know*, honey.

Lots of HUGS,

Forgotten

3. punkymama says:

I have to show this to my husband. We are living with some of this. Ours includes a kid who has pulled down any window covering since he was 6 months old. I buy cheap blinds so I can replace them monthly if I need to. I have ones in the laundry room that have lasted over a YEAR because i hook and eye the door way up high. WOO HOO. My husband regularly talks about paving the house like a skate park, we have the floor issues too. We also have lamp issues. Drawing/ paint on the wall. You are so not alone.

4. Ashley says:

Thank you for this. How exhausting. x A

5. Janet says:

I just love, love, love the art work! Our boys are so similar with it comes to that. I have some art work that because of its location I don’t know how it got there. I think it is a good thing that I didn’t see it happen.

Microwaves – had to buy a new one. The old one had a door that was great for hitting it open so it would swing back. After the door broke we were able to use the microwave for a year until it just died.

I have learned how to do many different toilet repairs to avoid the expence of a plummer. For several years many different things were flushed just for the joy of it.

Thanks for sharing!

6. Jeff says:

For what it’s worth, I think your house is really nice even with the few cosmetic imperfections you pointed out. It honestly looks like a house that has a loving family who adores their children living in it.

By the by, I would kill for your basement and the Pizzmeister is jealous of your Thomas Tent.

7. crcooling says:

So. There. Max (aspie) has outgrown a lot of his destructive behaviors, but I remember this!!!!

8. Anonymous says:

I see a house full of life and love.

9. spectrumom says:

Gonna post you a pic of our house. The difference is we haven’t gotten up the energy to renovate much. And it’s 100 years old. And I swear some of the paneling and wallpaper was put in on building.

10. Patty says:

Holy crap! Your house looks so much like mine. When I saw all your corners all beat up, I wanted to shout for joy. Not because I’m happy about your house, but because you just made me feel so much less alone. I feel like a complete loser sometimes. We don’t have the money to do much with our house (all our extra cash pays for therapies) and both my boys are so,so rough on our house. I wish I had a friend like you around here–someone who would validate me and help me feel less loser-ish!