Why I’ve Been so Quiet

April 4, 2011 by Marj Hatzell

The past few weeks I’ve been up to my eyeballs in stuff. Like, stuff I volunteer for and then later regret. Like, card-carrying member of the too-stupid-to-say-no club stuff.Luckily, too stupid to say no stuff will be dying down soon. In July. I think.

Then I went out Saturday night to a friend’s house and we had some drinks and I went to bed feeling okay and woke up feeling okay and then three hours later, WHAM! The Pukes, the Trots, you name it (YES, I KNOW, TMI).  After an entire day of this (and feeling like total shiz) I realized I also had hives all over my body!  WOO!  So something clearly did not agree with me.  Turns out the wings we ordered from our favorite wing place?  Cooked in peanut oil. And I’m allergic to peanuts. And even though peanut oil is supposedly highly refined? It might still have traces of peanut protein in it. So. No peanut oil for me EVER. And I knew that. I just didn’t think to ask, even though last year at this time I had anaphylaxis. Oy. Note to self: for now on, when ordering out, ask if they fry in peanut oil. Or fry seafood with the chicken. Or hell, Just stop ordering out and make it yourself, lazy arse.

And, for the record, I did drink too much wine that night and thought I was hung over and I was all STUPID STUPID STUPID until I found out that the damn wings were cooked in peanut oil (and only called because I still felt like shiz two days later). And while the wine certainly didn’t help, I was wondering why I had hives all over me and felt like passing out. Hmmmm…

Brought up memories of staying overnight at one of my childhood friend’s after going to the local watering hole and puking up red french fries all night (drank a little too much that night, too).

By the way, you have NOT LIVED until you puke up carrots and buffalo wings through your nose. Repeatedly. Just sayin’. (and you blow your nose, and carrot chunks come out. YOU’RE WELCOME!)

And, for the record, I’m still an eejit. Thought I was growing out of that phase of my life but alas, it is not to be. Sigh.

9 thoughts on “Why I’ve Been so Quiet

1. Through your nose? Yep. Been there. Done that. Have the idiot badge to prove it.

2. FireMom says:

I’ve puked wings and carrots. It is awesome. (By awesome, I mean ow.)

3. MemeGRL says:

Eating out is one of life’s great joys. Even when you have to re-enact Sally (as in When Harry Met) every time you go. Someone else cooking? And cleaning? Yes please.

4. neeroc says:

Ugh I hate puking and the thought of buffalo wings through your nose made my nose whimper

5. CUZ!!! I’m glad you are okay and hopefully feeling better…no more peanut oil for you!!!

6. Geez, Marj! I’m so glad you’re okay!!

7. jillsmo says:

Wow. That’s, uh…..

Huh.

8. Amanda says:

I was under the impression everyone puked through their nose. I guess that’s just reserved for those really awesome moments for most people and I’m weird and do it all the time. Everything is awesome puked through the nose. But hey, at least it wasn’t the wine, right?

9. Michele Zipp says:

I hope they weren’t spicy chicken wings coming out yo nose. Still. That’s BAD news bears. Who makes chicken wings in peanut oil? Maybe lots of people. I dunno. I don’t eat chicken wings but clearly like people who do. Even when they puke em up.