Want Some Cheese With That Whine?

March 17, 2011 by Marj Hatzell

It occurred to me over the course of the past few days that I can be a whiner.

Here I am complaining about finding a job that suits my schedule and my kids because I’m a spoiled brat.  And there are moms out there, moms I know well, that don’t have a choice. They have to work. They have to take the job with the most money and best benefits. They can’t pick and choose. They might be single moms. Or they might be in financial trouble. Or they might be dads. And they might not have a job, despite looking.

And I’m complaining. Sheesh.

I have a husband who has a good job and good benefits. I’m fortunate because I can stay home. We can swing it. We’ve done it for ten years. And I’m being greedy and whiny and complaining that I don’t have a job that suits our schedule or my sleep schedule. Just so I can pay for extra violin lessons or fancy-schmancy lego classes for Bug Boy this summer. Sheesh.

Do you want to smack me upside the head? Because I want to smack me upside the head and tell me to be appreciative because I’ve got a good thing going. So stop whining. Mmkay?

Ok, self. Got it. Thanks for putting me straight.

(yes, I am aware I’m talking to myself. What? Don’t you do it, too? You don’t? Erm. As you were. Nothing to see here. You don’t need to see his identification. These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.)

9 thoughts on “Want Some Cheese With That Whine?

1. Amanda says:

It’s almost impossible to NOT whine, no matter what. I just got a raise in an economy where most people don’t have the luxury, and I’m bitching because it isn’t big enough. And it’s my own stupid fault for needing that car, that expensive DirecTV package, satellite radio, an ipad.

Point is, what good is having a blog if you can’t whine 😉 haha

2. Grace says:

Puhleeese. It’s your blog, whine if you want! (It didn’t really sound like whining to me, though, and I’m one of those single moms you were talking about.)

Are you serious, there are actual Lego classes?? I must learn more about this. Immediately.

3. Barnmaven says:

Nah, that wasn’t whining. It was a funny post about a border collie that happened to be punctuated with the thought process behind whether or not a particular position might be the one to put in for. Its okay to consider these things aloud, its ok to contemplate the difficulty in our life. No matter what, there will always be war, famine, poverty, pestilence and lots of bad shit in the world. Our lives still go on and we still have a need to find humor, kinship and contemplation.

The alternative, you know, is to post about the real, actual worst stuff going on in our lives. But that would just freak people out. 😀

4. Amanda says:

It’s not a pissing contest. We all have our trials and tribulations in life. It’s like the military spouses who complain “My soldier is TDY for 3 months,” and then one comes along and says “Well at least he’s not deployed!” Hey, those 3 months, or however long they’re gone sucks butt too. Or like my Aspie who won’t STFU some days. Sure, I should be thankful he talks, but dayum, ya know? Some days I can only listen to a dissertation on Star Wars or Harry Potter for so long. We’re all entitled to our annoyances now and again.

5. Anne says:

I’ve been out of work for two years. Two. Years. It makes my blood boil when I hear people complain about their jobs, their bonuses, their raises. Be GRATEFUL you even HAVE a job, people! I’m actively looking, and I’d trade places with you in a New York minute! All I can say is Thank G-d my husband has a good job.

That being said, I didn’t and don’t take this blog as complaining. I read it for laughs and inspiration! Thank you, Marj!

6. Penbleth says:

If you can’t say what’s on your mind on your own blog that’s a pretty poor show. You haven’t been whining.