Love-Hate Relationship

January 14, 2011 by Marj Hatzell

I have this love-hate relationship with the Internets.

I’m beginning to think that some people on the Internets deliberately search for ways that they can prove other people wrong, just so they can feel good about themselves. Gosh forbid you make a generalization without folks saying, “NO. YOU ARE INCORRECT. GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200.”

Also? Trolls are the modern-day equivalent of schoolyard bullies. Hiding behind their ‘puters. Apparently some people’s mommies never taught them that they should treat each other the way they want to be treated and that they shouldn’t be rude. They need to go sit in the corner for a while. Unless they are baby. Because Nobody puts Baby in the Corner. Got that?

And? Sometimes people will dissect things you write or “say” and split hairs and make it sound like you are a giant idiot. And you know you are correct but you didn’t say it in the way they wanted you to say it so they twist what you’ve written and make it sound like you meant something else. And you didn’t mean it. And if you are confused, good, because I am, too.

Thing the Third? Sometimes people get into comment wars about what you write and it has nothing to do with what you wrote. Not one iota. Or they accuse you of “not having enough experience with autism.” Snicker. Yeah, because I DON’T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH AUTISM.  HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I mean, I have two kids with it and a degree in it, but I know NOTHINK. I know NOTHINK!

With that in mind, Go see me in a few places, would you?

The Stir

5 Minutes for Special Needs

And like me on Facebook, because I’m a narcissist and need gratification.

And follow me on Twitter because I have ADHD and can’t focus on more than 140 characters at a time (even though I always, ALWAYS have to edit down what I tweet because I write. Too. Much.).

And sometimes I write other places.

And? It’s National Delurking Day! Not sure what that means, but go ahead and delurk. Because my status as a Mommy Blogger and my fragile ego depend on you clicking, liking, sharing and posting. Amen.

Disclaimer: Yes, I’m being facetious. But click, like, share and post anyways. Just for fun. You know you want to.

9 thoughts on “Love-Hate Relationship

1. Viviane says:

I love you. Happy delurking day ! (or as we say in French : Joyeux jour de delurkage !) Hope you will get lots and lots of love comments.

2. Laura says:

I think I’ve commented here before. But I know I don’t comment as much as I read. So I’m officially de-lurking. Unless, of course, I’ve been commenting here all the time, in which case, I’m really just exposing myself as a nut job. Either way, great post. and Happy delurking day!

3. Erica says:

My Facebook fanpage is a fan of your Facebook fan page! 😀

4. Kath in NW Pa says:

My name is Kathy and yes, I am a lurker. There, I said it. Not sure how I found your blog or how long I’ve been stopping by but I enjoy your writing and the way you share your days with us.
    Thanks =8-)

5. I have a love-hate relationship with jenny mccarthy. your article “I don’t care what causes autism” pushed some buttons. but buttons need to be pushed. and it needed to be said. i don’t care what causes autism either. because knowing the cause won’t help my kid now. i don’t believe in “recovery” – to even associate that word with autism gives parents false hope. so let the cyber bullies come out – you got your own little crew and they have your back.

6. Anonymous says:

Are you new to the interwebs because really? Time to grow a thicker skin. After all some of your opinions are not very nice, either. Grow up or go home.

Welcome to the web.

7. Laura says:

Wow! And so brave posting anonymously! Nice…

• Newbie says:

No one is truly anonymous. Thanks to the magic of the Internets (which I’m new to, apparently) there are ways to search this stuff. it takes three seconds to trace an IP, get an e-mail and a location. Easy Button.

8. dg says:

Not new. As a matter of fact, Al Gore didn’t invent the Internets, I did. And back when I invented it, there were actual nice people on it. You know, the ones that weren’t taunting each other like second graders.

I am trying to figure out which one of my opinions isn’t nice. The one where I said mean people suck or the one where I read articles and say autistic kids are awesome.

Either way, I have a degree in google and I invented that too.