O HEEELL NAW

December 14, 2010 by Marj Hatzell

I’ve got a confession to make. One of my favorite Christmas Songs is O Holy Night. I love it. I think it’s beautiful and emotional and it just makes me feel Christmas and love and warmth and…you get the deal. It should come as no surprise that music has a huge impact on me emotionally.

There are many versions of this song sung by many people. There are great versions and not so great versions. There are versions that I’m all,”HUH?” And then there are versions that I’m all, “OH HEEEEEL NAW” because they really shouldn’t have done that.

The good? Josh Groban (OF COURSE!), Clay Aikens is actually nice and Faith Hill and Martina McBride do pretty versions, hit the notes the right way (though they are a little slow and drag). Susan Boyle does a lovely version. David Archuleta. Bing Crosby (My all time fave, so what if he’s a drunken wife beater?). Also? Karen Carpenter. There’s never been anyone like her. Perhaps my favorite version.

The bad? Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera. Sorry, but too many runs and arpeggios and such. They should just tone down the, “LISTEN TO MY AMAZING VOICE, BEETCHES!” and sing it straight. Makes me insane. SING ONE NOTE THERE, DAMMIT!  F-!

Note thusly:

The Meh?  Celine Dion. I’m not a huge fan of hers but she has a very powerful voice and could have done better. At least she didn’t screw up the notes and sing it all over the place and make it sloppy, right? C+ or B-. Can’t make up my mind since she didn’t make up hers about whether or not she wanted to make this an awesome adaptation. Sigh. Meh.

The ugly?

Tracy Chapman. I love her. But it was dreadful. Trans Siberian Orchestra. HUH?  WEEZER? You must be kidding. And Indigo Girls. WTF?

Just Sayin’.

12 thoughts on “O HEEELL NAW

1. Lori says:

LOL! You man Lady Gaga does not do a version? Or maybe Ke$ha? HA! Can you imagine!?!

Great post!

2. joeinvegas says:

So you post the bad one and not a good one? Thanks, now I have to go search YouTube on my own (Yea, I know, tough)

3. the life you choose says:

I love Bing Crosby. Yeah, looking past the whole “asshole in real life” aspect.

4. Kelly says:

Best of all is Perry Como. His version of O Holy Night kills me, and it’s what I put on when I’m sick of cards and cookies and trying to find the perfect present for EVERYONE!

5. The H's says:

Um…I have a ‘not for the kiddies’ version of O Holy Night….I apologize to everyone who goes to the link…mostly because I still laugh at ‘dick and fart’ jokes….
    (just as a warning….I think he says the word penis in there somewhere)
    enjoy
    FYI – love your blog

6. sandrine says:

Hi. Just came over from the Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism. I loved your post there. I meant to say something thoughtful and deep, but when I read this post all I could think to say was: I like Eric Cartman’s version in South Park. There you go…

7. Mommy Shorts says:

My friends went to see an Indigo Girls concert the other night and it turned out they spent the whole concert singing Christmas songs. They said going was the worst mistake ever. Did I mention that they’re Jewish?

8. pkzcass says:

O (or is it Oh) Holy Night should NEVER be pimped out by a screamer (Christina). I think Josh Groban’s version is the best ever.