This is How You Know Mommy Needs to Clean up Her Potty Mouth

March 21, 2010 by Marj Hatzell

It’s no secret that I cuss like a drunken sailor. In fact, when I go to more genteel places (like Utah or the South) I have to work on my language a week ahead of time so as not to offend anyone. I mean, I don’t HAVE to but I feel I should.  And then I watch my mouth for a few weeks and I slowly slip back into mommy-potty-mouth mode.  Worst Mommy Ever. I swear.

So.  Just to give you a bit of background information, Bug Boy is a bit of a reluctant writer. He is very much like my husband, who says ONLY what needs to be said and when it NEEDS to be said.  For the most part, the husband is a bit reticent.  Although no one has ever accused Bug Boy of being reticent it certainly shows in his creative writing. It’s just not his “thing.”  He prefers to keep it short, simple and to the point.  He doesn’t stray off topic (which is probably good) and he makes sure he can tell you exactly what you need to here in three sentences or less.

This week Bug Boy’s class studied Helen Keller’s story.  All week he delighted me with retelling the bits he read in his literature circle that day (fancy word for “reading group”).  They had a writing prompt on Friday which was graded and put in their friday folder to go home.  In true DG, art-of-a-procrastinator-form, I got to the folder on SUNDAY NIGHT.  Which is an improvement, since I’m often going through the paperwork, writing checks and signing tests on MONDAY MORNING.  Anywho, the Helen Keller writing prompt was in the Friday folder.  They had to write about how they think it would feel to be deaf or blind.  And this is Bug Boy’s response:

I would rather lose my hearing than my sight.  One reason is that if someone was calling me a bad word I wouldn’t have to hear it.  Another reason is that I would not have to hear my mom cursing at my Dad. (emphasis mine)

Ahem.

Whoopsy.

10 thoughts on “This is How You Know Mommy Needs to Clean up Her Potty Mouth

1. kwombles says:

Hahaha, I love it. I, too, have a penchant for curse words. 🙂 They’re versatile and have such tremendous emotive power, you know?

2. pkzcass says:

Too funny. I can’t believe all you do in a day/week. I’m amazed.

3. Kelly says:

Is it wrong that I laughed?

4. elise says:

haha! hilarious!!!

reminds me that i had to teach my 3 year old to pronounce it FECK because i was so sure he was going to say it.

and he did.

5. The Hussy says:

Yikes…sounds vaguely familiar though. My five year old wrote in his “science journal” after being prompted to write the things that he likes to hear: My dog barking and My Mom yelling. I’m just glad he likes that noise. Or maybe he’s just used to it.

6. Holy crap. That is so funny.

I have a potty mouth too. I do my best to control it around the kids, but it’s hard to remember.

7. Amanda says:

LOL I’m waiting for something like that. I caught my 3yo saying “fucking blanket” recently. Evidently it wouldn’t cooperate with him and do what he wanted it to do. OOPS.

8. Anna says:

Too funny. I love the affirmation that I am not alone. My kids are not in school yet, and so far (fingers crossed) there have been no potty mouth incidents at preschool. But I am just waiting on the day it happens. My day will come. I just can’t seem to whip the habit. Truthfully, I think I got worse once the kids were born!
    Thanks for the chuckle – one of solidarity, not ridicule!
    Anna from Motherly Law

9. […] THE PHONE RIGHT NOW!  SHE’S YELLING AT MY DAD!”  Kinda reminds me of when Bug Boy did THIS to me.  Good times, good […]