October 27, 2008 by Marj Hatzell
How was our weekend? Let’s put it this way: Eat, sleep, eat, sleep, EAT EAT EAT, SLEEEEEEEEP. That was it in a nutshell. Seriously? I got a few crossword puzzles in and the husband had his Kodak moments finding piles of wood (when he isn’t studying grass as an art form it’s all about the wood). And we may or may not have eaten waaaaaaay too much ice cream here. And we may or may not have eaten waaaaaaaay too many stickies here. Just sayin’.
And then there was dinner here.
So you can imagine my surprise when I decided (stoopidly, I might add) that I needed to step on the scale this morning and saw the numbers that told me I had lost a pound this weekend. LOST? Are you CERTAIN? I mean, medium-well steaks and prime rib and mashed potatoes and grilled stickies and ice cream TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW and coffee and tea and shoo-fly pie and…LOST? As in, GONE DOWN IN WEIGHT? The only thing I can attribute it to is:
- Fast metabolism. Ask anyone that knows me, I eat like a hog with extra slop.
- The four mile walks down the dirt road near the cabin.
- Walking around State College in the pouring rain.
- The amount of sleep I received this weekend (I SLEPT UNTIL NINE IN THE MORNING, Y’ALL.)
- The wild and crazy, erm, snuggling that went on with the husband.
Or it had something to do with the fact that I came home to clean children, a house in order and general peace all around. Yeah, maybe it was that. It is amazing that a few days away can refresh and recharge me so much. And prepare me for chasing Bugaboo down the street three times within the first hour that I’m home. And prepare me for the two YUCKADOO diapers he had, one of which ended up on the living room floor somehow (TA DA!). And prepare me for the fact that he just wouldn’t go to sleep last night, despite the fact that he had very little sleep the night before (my poor sister) and was literally rubbing his eyes to keep them open. And prepare me for the fact that he was gonna wake up at 1am. Good thing I went to sleep early.
So what have we learned, kids? Well, we’ve learned:
- It ain’t cool to find a dead mouse in the cabin trash can when no one has been there in over a month. Ewwwww…
- The dust and mold in the cabin will actually make the budding cold WORSE and somehow will develop a rotten cough and sinus headache to go along with it.
- The mattress up there? Let’s put it this way: the floor is more comfortable. Except there are tons of bugs down there. Ewwwww…
- The mattress up there? Ain’t good for a herniated sacral disc, y’all.
- If the power goes out in a rain storm and you are in the middle of washing your hair, the pump will stop and the water will drain back into the well and you’ll finish your shower with a gallon of spring water, and that’s cooooooollllddddd.
Anyways, we are home now, back into our normal routine. If there is a such thing as normal. Except I’ve got extra kids, piles of laundry (how does it add up that fast?) and the usual housework to do. And I’m thinking of extending my “off” weekend until tomorrow so I can nurse this yucky cold and back ache and take a long nap instead. Who’s with me?