July 29, 2008 by Marj Hatzell
Fifteen years ago I was a young, idealistic (immature), flighty well-rounded woman, ready to take on the world. I had such PLANS, y’all. I was gonna conquer life, grab it by the horns, you know, like all of those cliches? So then, where am I now compared to where I wanted to be at thirty-five? I know you are just DYING to find out. Because y’all live for every little update about me, right? I mean, you can’t start your day without knowing this…
Where I thought I’d be:
- Living in some glamorous city in a swanky area in a swanky home
- Traveling the world
- Working on my doctorate or post-doc
- Teaching or working with autistic children
- Married to some rich, good-looking guy
- Possibly ready to start a family
- Speaking several languages, thanks to my time in the Peace Corp
- Actively involved in politics, possibly on a committee or working in a public office
- In the best physical shape of my life
- Wearing designer clothing
Where I am now:
- Living in a cozy home in a friendly town in an awesome school district for my kids
- Traveling the country, since I get GHASTLY ill on planes and it takes me three days to recuperate from a flight (so much for foreign travel)
- I managed to get my undergrad in only NINE YEARS changing my major only FOUR TIMES!
- Living with Autistic children
- Married to a not-so-wealthy, good-looking, fabulously gifted guy and don’t regret a minute of it
- Finished starting a family. In fact, finished expanding the family.
- I speak English (Sort of. More like Amerikun.) and know sign language, never joined the Peace Corp but I watched a documentary on it once.
- I read the paper. I think I know who the political candidates are. I vote.
- In pretty good shape, considering the circumstances. I walk the dog twice a day. I’m at a healthy weight. I crave potatoes every minute of every day.
- Wearing used clothes I got at goodwill or consignment. Some of them have designer labels. I think. Is GAP designer?
Hmmm…I don’t think I’m too far off. In fact, I think what I have, compared to what I wanted, is better. Much better. Don’t you agree?