This Post Has Nothing To Do With My Dog, Poo or My Backyard

February 21, 2008 by Marj Hatzell

And I cannot think of a thing to write.

Let’s see…Bug Boy has decided he doesn’t want to go to school anymore because he is the smallest one in the class and an older boy told him so. He views it as teasing. I asked him EXACTLY what was said (and he tells me, because the kid has a memory like an elephant and hasn’t quite learned the fine art of little white lies) and he said that the boy(s) in question were comparing each other’s height in the lunch line and one said, “You are the shortest one in our class.” And Bug Boy said, “No I’m not! Leah is shortest!” And the boys said, “Leah! Come here!” So Leah did. And Bug Boy is shorter than Leah. And Leah is eight months younger. Sigh. With parents who measure in at 5’3″ and 5’6″, the chance of him being on the basketball team are slim to none. Plus he thinks that basketballs get kicked like soccer balls.

Bugaboo still loves Gregorian Chant. Thanks to an online friend, I have a nice collection in iTunes. I turn on the chant, put the visualizer on the screen and he sits and rocks out to monks singing. It’s great! It calms him right down! He SITS STILL FOR TWENTY MINUTES! A miracle!

Darling got a fabulous bonus, raise and stock for his review this year. Like, a little too fabulous (dang taxes) but we’ll take it. We are FINALLY going to put a frickin’ deck on the back of the house (a porch, for those of you not in Philly) so we don’t have to step out of the slider and into a pile of rocks. Then we are going to hire someone to redo the joint compound and get someone to paint this dang house. After we rip off the trim…

Oops. That was technically about my backyard. Sorry, it won’t happen again.

It snowed a whopping centimeter last night. It may snow up to three inches this evening into tomorrow. Which means they will close school tomorrow because they have no idea how to remove an inch of snow before the kids show up. No wonder the rest of the country thinks we are wusses. They have no clue how to deal with storms around here and everyone is itching for the storm of the century. Apparently, there hasn’t been enough drama in Philly lately. We needs some!

My husband still wants to buy a car. I was praying it was a phase. Apparently not, because he wants to buy something that a nineteen-year-old would drive.

At least I don’t have my in-laws’ backyard. They just moved to Utah. They bought the house about six weeks ago when there was a foot of snow on the ground. A month later, when they moved in, the snow hadn’t budged and there was more on the ground. This week it is warm and the sun is shining and the snow is melting. Guess what? The previous owners had two LARGE labs and they were kept outside. They never, ever cleaned up after the dogs. As in, THERE IS A SWAMP OF DOG STUFF IN HER BACK YARD. She filled a whole trash bag full yesterday and is going back out there today. That’s just disgusting.

Oops. That was about Poo. My bad.

So basically, this has turned into a post about my in-laws backyard, which is full of poo from someone else’s dogs. At least it wasn’t about mine.

PS – I keep checking my blog stats and I am astounded to learn that somedays I get over one hundred DIFFERENT visitors. Please, if you are lurking? Do a girl’s self-esteem so good and give me a shout-out in the comments, mmkay? kthxbai.

13 thoughts on “This Post Has Nothing To Do With My Dog, Poo or My Backyard

1. Trace says:

I’ve been trying NOT to blog from work. I have been reading, but getting on and off as quickly as possible. Congrats on the future deck!! I’m hoping Sweetness does just as well this April when he has his review. For me the annual increase will make a big difference if I want to be a SAHM.

2. Kari says:

I just found you a little while ago. I’m interested in your blog not only because it’s so honest but because I have a 3 year-old with autism. It helps to know that I’m not alone and there is someone out there who understands and isn’t constantly saying “oh, she’s just tired,” “she’s a toddler,” “terrible 2’s still going on” or something else meant to be helpful but ends up breaking my heart just the same. You’re my break from reality while at the same time bringing me back into the reality of my life. Not the life I have dreamed about, but mine still. And I’m learning to love it.

3. Anjali says:

Well hey, you know I’m here!

4. Angela says:

No one knows how to get around here with even one snow flake
    Oh I don’t want the snow.

5. Rachel says:

You know I’m always lurking!

6. Justine says:

I’m here too… I don’t mind reading about your backyard. or poo for that matter. :o)

7. Sarah is Ok says:

I love that this ended up being about poop and a back yard. When I first started writing random posts, I couldn’t believe how much poop came up. Now I just go with it and accept that I’m that kind of girl.

8. Michiala says:

Hi from Australia (well…not all of Australia… just me). Just wanted to let you know that I love your blog. You are such an inspiration to me. I have 2 gorgeous boys (4.5yrs, 15 mths) the eldest has global developmental delay (non-verbal and with everything else he’s at about the same stage as his little brother). I always end up looking at stuff on the net about autism because he has so many autistic traits and I can relate to it. I can’t remember how I came across your blog, but I’m so glad I found it. I think you’re an awesome mum and I love your attitude towards life. On a side point I’ve been thinking about your poo problem. (Sorry… you know what I mean) What about a jumpsuit with a zipper at the back? Seriously.. just for around the house. I saw a family on Oprah with triplets who were blind, deaf and mute. Every morning they were waking up to the girls bedroom completely covered in you know what. Anyway they had these suits made up and it helped. Just an idea). Sorry.. I got sidetracked. What I wanted to say was thanks for giving me a good laugh, especially on difficult days, and I really admire you and the great job you are doing with your boys.

9. kate says:

just found you. happy i did.

10. […] the whole Internets needed to know about my kids bowel habits.  But, you know I only write about poo, my dog and my backyard. It’s good that I’ve gotten all of my bases covered […]

11. […] And once again, I’m writing about my dog and poo.  At least I didn’t mention my backyard. Oops. Just […]

12. sandrar says:

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. 🙂 Cheers! Sandra. R.