The Best Way to Start My Day?

Leave a comment

November 20, 2007 by Marj Hatzell

Seven a.m.

Did I just read that correctly?  Did the clock really say SEVEN O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING?  Holy cow, we were running late.  I jumped into the shower while he picked out his clothes, turned the iron on and got sleepy-head (Bug Boy) out of bed.  I could hear the, “DAAAAD!  I’m SICK!  No, I’m not sick, I’m TIRED!  No, I’m not…I’m…needing a VACATION DAY!” excuses even with the water running. Bugaboo began banging around in his room, I finished my shower in time for Darling to jump in. I threw on clothes, ironed his pants and went in to get Bugaboo.  Nekkid, as usual.  This time he had the contents of his dresser strewn about the room and the dresser was tipped over.  Uh, we’re gonna have to fix that TONIGHT. I don’t want to find him under it tomorrow morning.

Rush, rush, HURRY!  Eat your breakfast!  Put your shoes on!  Here, take your meds!  QUICK!  Darling ran out the door while I started  doling out their little pills.  Frozen waffles this morning, my dears. Bugaboo stripped quickly and came back with his pants on backwards.  Just then a wet spot began to creep down the front of his pants.  Apparently, he had removed his diaper.  Sigh.  A quick change of the pants and a mop of the floor to get rid of the yellow puddle and we were in good shape.

Four minutes until the bus arrives at eight.  Do I have time to walk the dog?  Should I bother dressing Bugaboo for the FOURTH TIME in twenty minutes just to take him for a walk with the dog?  I haven’t walked the dog in five days due to being sick. I don’t know if I have the energy. Sigh. She must have heard me muttering, she’s already pulling the leash with her teeth and waiting by the front door. Fine.  We’ll go.

The neighbor’s kids were banging on the front door. We all threw coats on, dashed out the door and the kids ran to the stop.  We got there just in time to see flashing yellow lights two blocks away.  Bugaboo stood there smiling.  The bus finally pulled up to our corner, the kids climbed on and we turned to go…

Bugaboo held my hand (HE HELD MY HAND, PEOPLE!) and we took our time walking the ‘hood.  Shad Roe the Dog would pause every now and then to squat on the curb of a particularly noisy dog (once I required my trusty plastic bag to clean upo after her).  Bugaboo and I just breathed, relaxed, took it all in.  He stopped every now and then to kick a leaf, reach out and touch a shrub or watch some birds fly overhead.  He bent down to pick up leaves and sat and studied every inch.  At one house he STOPPED TO SMELL THE ROSES, literally (and then promptly picked the rose off and tossed it in the street. Oops.).  I stood there, dumbfounded, watching every move he made.

A year ago I could not take my child for a walk. I could not point out the wonders and beauty of nature, the colors of the leaves, a barking dog or an airplane overhead.  A year ago he would break away, climb out of the wagon or stroller, run into the street.  A year ago, if we left the confines of our locked-up-Bugaboo-proof fortress he would scream, throw himself on the ground and cry the whole time.  What a difference a year makes.

Life moves too fast.  Days and months disappear in the blink of an eye. I do not want to be one of those people who gets to the end of my life and wonders where the time went.  Me?  I’m going to be one of those people who made sure they savored every moment, who watched their children do every amazing little thing.  I am going to be the person who prefers quality of quantity, who would rather spend time with family than worry about keeping up appearances.

It may not seem like it to some, but every little teeny thing Bugaboo does is a miracle.  The progress he makes is nothing short of amazing.  Every time he discovers something, notices something or looks surprised to see something I etch that moment into my brain forever.  I am so thankful to have this little boy!  He has taught me so much about slowing down and enjoying the little things in life (and how to be extremely patient. Did I say extremely?  I meant EXTREMELY patient.).  Now, if you will excuse me, I have a nekkid boy to dress. Again.

Got Stuff to Say? Say Stuff here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Your Cruise Director

Domestic Goddess

Smile, the world will wonder what you're up to.

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Or don't. Whatevs. Just don't make me cry.

Join 1,000 other followers

Stuff I talk about

Stuff I talked about a long time ago

Blog Stat Stuff

  • 361,671 people who want to read my stuff

Copyright stuff

All stuff on this here site Copyright 2004-2014 by Marj Hatzell. Please don't be a dweeb and plagiarize. Remember Santa is watching. Registered & Protected

%d bloggers like this: