June 13, 2007 by Marj Hatzell
Here are some things I want to do someday:
- Rejoin a book club, since I tried to join and made it through three books in one year
- Actually sit and read a book, the whole reason for joining a book club in the first place
- Go out once a week with friends for social outings. I mean friends that are in their twenties or older and have children and want to run away, too.
- Find a really good babysitter so that I do not have to take advantage of family members anymore. One that does not fall asleep or allow my children to run around nekkid eating chocolate and getting into things while the babysitter watches television or uses the computer. I realize I have to start paying babysitters now. Boohoo.
- Go out on more dates with my husband. Right now we average once every three months for an actual date. Once in a blue moon we can get someone to cover for an hour while we grab a slice or pizza or run and errand we cannot run with the Bugs in tow.
- Hire a housekeeper. I need a break from it.
- Hire a cook. I am out of ideas at the moment.
- Hire a behavior specialist to come to my house to help me discipline my children more effectively. One of the most difficult aspects of autism is that the normal methods DO NOT WORK for these children. I know that parenting involves constantly tweaking and changing but this is ridiculous. What works one moment does not work five minutes later.
- Hire a gardener because I have grand ideas for my fabulous yard and just do not have the time to implement anything. I am lucky to get a few weeds pulled or the plants watered. Thank goodness it has been raining quite a bit!
- Go to the gym 3-4 days a week. Before kids I went 5-6 days a week and was in very good shape. Right now I fight to get three days a week in. I am in decent shape but I’d like to do more. When the kids go back in September I will be able to go back to going every day, if I want to.
- Go to more parent meetings and such.
- Go to more shows and concerts
- Have more time devoted to crafts and hobbies. I’ll take thirty minutes a week.
- Paint my walls. They are still the original construction white in most of the house. It is making me crazy. I like color, lots of it. Looking at white walls reminds me of doctor’s offices or the dentist. BOOOOO-RING! And color might help conceal some of the finger prints and other mysterious smudges. Especially if I paint the walls with eggshell enamel, which is easier to clean than the current FLAT PAINT.
- Get another dog. I have a devious plan. At some point I want a service dog for Bugaboo so this is a good way to approach the conversation with Darling. I’ve half-jokingly threatened to get a Great Dane or Greyhound. He likes teeny dogs. It is fun to tease him because he is honestly afraid of big dogs.
- Figure out some sort of way to work part time and earn some money. I do not want to go back to teaching. I am not sure I want to continue day care much longer. I may pick up more tutoring hours.
What do you want to do when you grow up?
PS – I’ve looked at my stats. There are quite a few of you who are stalking and not SAYING anything. Please reveal yerselves. Thank you and have a nice day.