Taking Care of Myself

June 20, 2013 by Marj Hatzell

I recently started seeing a therapist.

A few years ago, when the boys were three and one, I started seeing an awesome therapist. I had some post-partum depression and some anxiety (lack of sleep, kids who don’t hit developmental milestones, etc, etc) and she really helped me sort it out. I eventually found support groups and other parents like myself and it helped tremendously. But insurance only pays for it for so long so after about eighteen months I stopped. But I kept up with the support groups and parents and I did ok.

Things have been very stressful the past few months, as you know. Dead parents, family crises, disabled children, you know, the usual stuff? I finally got to the point where I had to say to Myself, “I can’t handle this. And that’s ok! I can find someone to help me.” Admitting that was HARD. I’m so used to being awesome and perfect (tough job but someone has to do it, right?) and I place these ridiculous demands and expectations on Myself. I’m my own worst critic. And when I’m feeling vulnerable and feeling as though the world is judging my parenting, it’s really a reflection of how I’m feeling about Myself.

And right now, I’m not feeling so good about Myself.

See, I’m feeling like I’m lost. Like I’m treading water and barely keeping my head above water. I’m feeling as though I can’t exhale. I feel numb. I can’t sort out my feelings. I cannot make decisions, not even “paper or plastic” or “brown gravy or white gravy” or “water or tea.” I don’t feel like I’m an awesome parent. Or Wife. Or sister or aunt or cousin or friend or neighbor.

I’m just not Myself.

So I started seeing a therapist a few weeks ago. He’s helping me get back on track. He’s helping me learn to be ok with Myself and to love Myself again. Because due to everything that has transpired the past few years, I’ve sorta kinda lost Myself in there. I know Myself is around SOMEWHERE and I’ll find Myself. I just need the time and to allow Myself to do it.

The first step? Taking care of Myself. See, I can’t be awesome and perfect and supermom if I can’t take care of Myself. I’m out of f*cks to give, people. If I’m not feeling good about where I am in life right now, how can I help others? And helping others and being there for others is one of the most important things to me. I feel as though I have talents and love and guidance and advice to share and I want to help others as much as possible. But unless I refill that positive energy and happiness that has been waning I’m not going to be any use to anyone. Certainly not any use to Myself. Or my family.

So here goes nothing. And…exhale.

About these ads

16 thoughts on “Taking Care of Myself

1. Niksmom says:

Reaching out to give your hand a reassuring squeeze.. And sending love. I need to take this step, too. xo

2. Love you. Let’s have girlfriend therapy.

3. Sarah Almond says:

Good for you! Take care of you, lady. It’s hard to admit you need help-and you have been through so much lately that it’s not surprising you feel like you do.

And remember all of us crazy folks on the internets are here if you wanna vent.

Boy howdy, can I relate. Good for you for Taking Steps. And I’m here for a cuppa tea whenever you would like. xo

5. Stimey says:

So much love to you, friend. I’m glad you’re taking care of you. That is a really hard thing to do. Hang in there.

6. myjobismom says:

<3 Takes a very brave and strong woman to admit she needs help, and even more of all that to actually go and get it. So hard to make ourselves a priority when so much is flying everywhere. Keep up the inhale/exhale bit. You've got a lot of people rooting for you :)

7. Anonymous says:

It’s kinda like being in an airplane when the oxygen masks drop down…put yours on FIRST then tend to your children. If you lose consciousness everyone goes down. You have a LOT on your plate and you need to take care of yourself. I am the mother of two neuroligically atypical teens and sometimes I feel I’m running a marathon with a broken leg. Gotta slow down and heal. Best wishes to you, DG, you’re an inspiration.

8. Karen says:

I know I am certainly not in your shoes, not in a lot of ways, but when I am feeling not well and not whole and not myself and can’t decide anything- those are the growing pains places, and grown-up growing pains are very hard places to get through.

9. […] when I realized how selfish I sounded. But I had valid feelings. I still have valid feelings. My therapist tells me so! (That sounds so […]